Things to Do While Yurt-ing
Fun for kids and adults awaits at the Pass Creek Yurt limited only by your creativity and imagination.
Hike 1: CONTINENTAL DIVIDE TRAIL
Hike north and south on the Continental Divide Trail, or create a loop utilizing the numerous historic logging roads. To access the CDT from the PCY, please refer to Trip Planning maps.
Hike 2: SKI AREA VIEWPOINT
Continue on the road that you walked in on past the Yurt for a bit less than a mile. This brings you to a nice view of the Wolf Creek Ski Area.
Hike 3: HIKE A CREEK
Explore the first creek you crossed on your hike in.
Hike 4: RED FIR FACE
Take the uphill spur off the road you hiked in on at the Yellow Truck.
Click here to visit our Hiking & Biking section of our website to view more loops and access our guides!
- TUCKER PONDS: The Forest Service stocks two ponds at mile 3 on the Tucker Ponds Road/FS RD 390 with a parking area, fishing piers, and out house.
- Fish Pass Creek below the Tucker Ponds.
- Fish for Rio Grande Rainbow Trout in Alberta Lake, a 1.5 mile hike NW from the Pass Creek Yurt. Hike first to the Ski Area Viewpoint route, continue downhill, then follow the pink survey tape cross-country to the Lake.
Read, write, nap, chill, daydream, watch the clouds drift by
Our website has maps and written descriptions of several fun intermediate to advanced loops you can ride from the Yurt.
Rides for Beginner to Intermediate mountain bikers:
- SKI AREA VIEWPOINT Continue past the Yurt on the road that you walk in on for a bit less than a mile. This brings you to a nice view of the Wolf Creek Ski Area. 2 mile round trip.
- PASS CREEK YURT TO PARK CREEK ROAD via the TUCKER PONDS ROAD. Ride back to your vehicle, then continue up the Tucker Ponds Road/FS RD 390. After about a mile you reach Campo Molino, a large meadow on your left. At the road junction stay left/straight on Rd 390. Follow this gravel road first a bit uphill, then a long downhill all the way to the Park Creek Road. If you ride all the way to Park Creek Road you will encounter two creek fords, and of course will have to ride back up that long downhill you just rode down.
- PASS CREEK YURT to the TUCKER PONDS via the TUCKER PONDS ROAD 3.8 miles one way. Ride back to your vehicle. Turn left on FR 390/Tucker Ponds Road and retrace the route you drove in on. Good fishing exists at Tucker Ponds. If you feel adventurous, look for the numerous logging roads that depart uphill from FR 390 to explore on foot or bike.
- Explore the creek adjacent to the Yurt. Downstream from the Yurt the creek is very steep. Caution is advised.
- Explore the creek by the Yellow Truck.
Ski — Snowboard
All the slopes you cross on your trek to the Pass Creek Yurt offer good skiing.
The terrain in the drainage above and to the south of the Yurt offers days-worth of north-facing skiing on slopes of various steepness. Check out the logged areas along with the areas of old growth tree skiing along the Divide. A word of Caution: on our rare windy days the old growth trees which have been killed by the spruce bark beetle can blow over. Leave those lines for calmer weather.
A couple of plastic saucers reside at the Yurt for sledding fun. Building a luge run on the slopes next to the Yurt yields hours of hilarity for sledders as well as their audience.
The many historic logging roads around the Pass Creek Yurt offer miles of snowshoeing. You can also head out to FR 390 which is groomed for snowmobiles. Just be aware of the snowmobilers on this road.