THINGS TO DO WHILE YURT-ING
Adventure and fun await at the Pass Creek Yurt .
Hike 1: CONTINENTAL DIVIDE TRAIL
Hike north and south on the Continental Divide Trail, or create a loop utilizing the numerous historic logging roads. To access the CDT from the PCY, please refer to Trip Planning maps.
Hike 2: SKI AREA VIEWPOINT
Continue past the Yurt on the road that you hiked in on for a bit less than a mile. This brings you to a nice view of the Wolf Creek Ski Area.
Hike 3: HIKE A CREEK
Explore upstream or downstream on the creek you crossed on your hike in.
Hike 4: RED FIR FOREST
Take the uphill spur track off the road you hiked in on at the Yellow Truck.
Click here to visit our Hiking & Biking section of our website to view more loops and access our gui
- TUCKER PONDS: The Forest Service stocks two ponds at mile 3 on the Tucker Ponds Road/FS RD 390 with a parking area, fishing piers, and outhouse.
- Fish Pass Creek below the Tucker Ponds.
- NOTE: 2023 Alberta Lake has been DRAINED for dam repair. [Fish for Rio Grande Rainbow Trout in Alberta Lake, a 1.5 mile hike NW from the Pass Creek Yurt. Hike first to the Ski Area Viewpoint route, continue downhill, then follow the pink survey tape cross-country to the Lake.]
Read, write, nap, chill, daydream, watch the clouds drift by, or do nothing
Our website has maps and written descriptions of several fun intermediate to advanced loops you can ride from the Yurt.
Rides for Beginner to Intermediate mountain bikers:
- SKI AREA VIEWPOINT Continue past the Yurt on the road that you biked in on for a bit less than a mile. This brings you to a nice view of the Wolf Creek Ski Area. 2 mile round trip.
- PASS CREEK YURT TO PARK CREEK ROAD via the TUCKER PONDS ROAD FS RD 390. Ride back to your vehicle, then continue up the Tucker Ponds Road/FS RD 390. In about a mile you reach Campo Molino, a large meadow on your left. At the road junction stay left/straight on Rd 390. Follow this gravel road on short uphill, then a long downhill to the Park Creek Road encountering two creek fords. Retrace your route back to the PCY.
- PASS CREEK YURT to the TUCKER PONDS via the TUCKER PONDS ROAD 3.8 miles one way. Ride back to your vehicle. Turn left on FR 390/Tucker Ponds Road and retrace the route you drove in on. Good stocked fishing at the Tucker Ponds.
- Explore the creek adjacent to the Yurt. Downstream from the Yurt the creek is steep. Caution is advised.
- Explore the creek by the Yellow Truck.
Ski & Snowboard
All the slopes you cross on your ski in to the Pass Creek Yurt offer good skiing above and below the road.
The terrain in the drainage above and to the south of the Yurt offers days-worth of north-facing skiing on slopes of various steepness. Check out the logged areas along with the areas of old growth tree skiing along the Divide. A Word of Caution: on our rare windy days the old growth trees which have been killed by the spruce bark beetle can blow over. Leave those lines for calmer weather.
A few plastic sleds reside at the Yurt for sledding fun. Building a luge run on the slope next to the Yurt provides hours of hilarity for sledders and their audience alike.
The many historic logging roads around the Pass Creek Yurt offer miles of snowshoeing. You can also take the logging road one mile to FR 390 which is groomed for snowmobiles. Be aware of the snowmobilers on this road.